Bruntál Chateau as we see it today is the result of five centuries of historical and building development. The original Late Gothic castle near the city walls was converted into a Renaissance chateau at the end of the 16th century by the Bruntálský family from Vrbno; the chateau had an original circular ground plan with two-storey arcades in the courtyard and a clock tower. Under the Teutonic Order the chateau was modified to its present-day Gothic style in 1766–1771 by the architect F. A. Neumann. In the 19th and early 20th century it was modified yet further. The most valuable interiors of the chateau are open to the public. The chateau exhibition comprises the chapel on the ground floor and the rooms on the 1st floor of the chateau, some of which are decorated with rococo wall paintings of extraordinary cultural value and contain the original furniture from the 18th to the beginning of the 20th century. The chateau has a remarkable collection of pictures, containing works by Italian, Dutch, Flemish and German masters from the 16th– 18th century. The large chateau library is also of significant historical value.
There are two permanent museum exhibitions open in the rooms of the oldest part of the chateau, in the Old Palace dating from the early 16th century: Nature of the Bruntál Region and Craft Has a Golden Bottom - crafts and livelihoods in the Bruntál region. The other original utility parts of the chateau (the kitchen, chambers, store rooms, stables) on the ground floor are used as exhibition halls, featuring temporary exhibitions from the museum’s own collections as well as from other collections.
The chateau is surrounded by an extensive park, dating back to the 16th century. In the middle of the 17th century the Teutonic Order established a regular garden. Major alterations were carried out at the order of the Grand Master of the Order, Archduke Eugene of Habsburg, after 1894 following designs by Georg von Hauberrisser. The Baroque style has been preserved on the chateau facade, while the rest has been left as a natural landscape park. The park contains the remnants of the town’s defensive walls, the ground-floor sala terrena from the beginning of the 20th century, the bastion and 11 sculptures, mostly sandstone statues from the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries. The park covers an area of 2.5 ha.
Nowadays, the chateau park and chateau exhibitions are used to hold concerts, theatre performances, weddings and other cultural and social events. The chateau houses the Museum in Bruntál, which has its specialised workplaces there, as well as the museum public library.